Dr Saurav Goel
30 hours lectures + 50 hours independent learning time and 20 hours written assignment
Coursework worth 15 credits
On successful completion of this study the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate critical awareness of the fundamental science for the systematic application of measurement.
- Critically evaluate component geometry specifications.
- Critically evaluate and specify metrology requirements for functional surfaces.
- Demonstrate conceptual thinking for the identification of appropriate task specific measurement procedures in a range of applications.
- Demonstrate critical awareness of current research and performance capabilities for the selection and use of displacement measurement technologies.
- The purpose, science and philosophy of measurement
- Interferometry and optical testing of surface form
- The characterisation of surface texture
- Contact and non-contact measurement of dimension and geometry
- Measurement of displacement